Friday, November 12, 2004

Free Wall of Voodoo and Stan Ridgway Downloads


Mexican Radio
For those of you who do not know who Wall of Voodoo were. They were an 80's band that had a sound like no other, although some would suggest Devo and Oingo Boingo as in the same league. The difference is in original lead singer of Wall of Voodoo, Stan Ridgway fashioned lyrics that sounded as if David Lynch and John Steinbeck had gotten together for a Twilight Zone episode where Mayberry was a front for the heinous activities that were never reported, and of course while Ridway told the story he had some kind of odd synthesizer that had previously been used by a man who created the soundtracks for some famous cartoons. (I think it was Hannah Barbera cartoons. I just cannot confirm it, because the link has gone bye bye.) Anyway, following Wall of Voodoo's performance at the 1983 Us festival, Ridgway left the band. Funzone from the concert is available for download.
Stan continued making great albums such as Mosquitos, Partyball, and his latest, Snakebite: Blacktop Ballads and Fugitive Songs.
An entire concert of Stan Ridgway is available here.
Many more Mp3s of Stan are accessible here.
Want to download the videos? Click and your wish will be granted. Do not worry. The site is legit and is promoted by Stan Ridgway. By the way, the mp3s by Jackie "Teak" Lazar are actually Stan singing in a funny old man voice.

3 Comments:

Blogger BEEz said...

I'm an old Wall of Voodoo fan. I think I first heard them on the compilation "Urgh, A Music War" back in the very early 80s. That compilation was an important starting point for my transformation into a serious music listener, having cuts from XTC, Pere Ubu, and many more (no more Styx for me after that change happened). In high school, me and my music cohorts used to regularly cover a song called "Back In Flesh." I also liked the stuff that Ridgeway did with Stewart Copeland for the movie "Rumble Fish." I'll have to check this site out...

5:43 PM  
Blogger Randy Black said...

The site is affiliated with Stan Ridgway. He has been really cool to me. I ordered a Live Cd of his on Ebay and he sent me like 4 other cds and a dvd all autographed. I have personally owned Urgh! a Music War since about 1983. Originally I had the cassettes that I believe have 2 extra cuts than the cd. I know there was a song with a title like Where's Captain Kirk. I played a lot of Wall of Voodoo on the radio in a format I called Aftershock. It combined the underground music of the 60's and 70's like Zappa, Love, Lou Reed, Blues Magoos, etc., with a lot of early 80's punk/ non-danceable New Wave like Wall of Voodoo, the Call, , X etc., and a bit of album rock like Planet P, Bruce Cockburn etc. That particular format is missing from XM and Sirius. I could give them a format that would kick butt.

10:19 PM  
Blogger BEEz said...

Yeah, we played "Where's Captain Kirk" too (probably because it was easy and because, being in High School, because of the novelty). "Back in Flesh" was a little less novel, but quite wierd (at least to us then) and fun to play. My brother took Urgh with him (I was the parasitic younger brother that never bought anything), so I haven't heard it in years. Sounds like a fun radio show...

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter