Sunday, August 07, 2005

I wish I had all of the Criterion Collection Releases

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Posted by Picasa


I have recently began collecting DVDs releases from the Criterion Collection. They do a great job in the film transferrals. The pictures are so beautiful. Also, they include a lot of background features. For instance on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas there are a couple of Hunter S. Thompson documentaries along with footage of his attorney and cohort on the trip, Acosta, reading a chapter from one of his books. On the Life Aquatic there are 2 releases, one with one disc and one with 2. This may become a collector's item. I have one called the Third Man that adds footage of underground sewer patrolmen in Austria and a zither concert. I recommend that anyone interested in collecting DVDs get as many Crterion titles as they can. NOt only do they go up in value, but they are very selective in what movies earn the honor. Browse the titles and let me know what you think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

nice blog

3:41 PM  
Blogger BEEz said...

I'm kind of iffy on collecting DVDs. Most of what I have is music-oriented. I'm a tech junky and know that DVDs are still one step away from what is needed to have essentially a master copy of the film. Right now, there is a big behind-the-scenes fight over the next format, which will be true HD. On my TV, I can tell the difference between the HD content from my cable box and a DVD. In a year or so, all of the movie will be repackaged in HD and at some point, DVD players will disappear from the market. That said, you are right about the Criterion quality. Luckily, you will be able to convert those DVDs to a new format with a computer (I'm guessing)...

7:39 PM  
Blogger Randy Black said...

Thanks PSIL!

Beez they are hip titles and they will probably still increase in value like laser discs and beta.
So which format will be next red or blue?

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter