Monday, July 04, 2005

Kids Tuning in to See Disney Get to See the Who Utter the F Word Courtesy of ABC’s Coverage of Live 8

Instead of showing their usual Disney fanfare, ABC hosted a wrap up of the Live 8 concert and instead of showing little more than VJ’s and interviews (like MTV and VH1), they actually showed as many artists as they could doing one song each. They could have showed more artists if they did not break away like the other networks for commercials that felt so out of place during a charity concert. So, why did the network leave the F word in the Who’s Who Are You? Their was no clever marketing around it like the Monday Night Football/ Desperate Housewives cross promotion with Nicolette Sherridan and Terrell Owens. We did not see Goofy laughing, dancing, or giving a clever wink. My theory is that the censor was unfamiliar with the Who and just assumed anybody that old was safe. That is a shame.

2 Comments:

Blogger BEEz said...

Which was the shame? That they didn't censor the f-word or that they were so out of touch that they misjudged The Who? I'd say the latter. I'm guessing any kid, no matter how young, could weather such a moment without lasting damage. Otherwise, beware having the kiddies around me when I stub my toe... I think a similar controversy arose during an airing of Farm Aid... but I can't remember the band (probably the unclever screaming Sammy Hagar with Van Halen). I know my parents were shocked, but only that it was out of place (my Dad, a 21 year military vet, has the pottiest of mouths...).

4:25 PM  
Blogger Randy Black said...

I agree with your sentiments that the Who's music should have been known. I also believe the FCC should be consistent or done away with. They let a lot of things slip like during football games or for movies they deem historic ala Shindler's List.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter