Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Are American Idol Contestants Puppets?

It has certainly appeared that way to me. And anyone who saw Bo Vice and Carrie Underwood's final competitive performance had to notice that the one song they were singing that was not recognizable since we were age 5 was a new song written for the winner that did not fit their voices or styles. That is why I believe the song was written prior to the start of the season. A greater concern for the artists centers around the legal agreements Idol contenders must sign with 19 Entertainment to be eligible for the prize booty. Some see Simon Cowell as a svengali. Don Heley will not let the show use his songs. Jimmy Webb states that music companies want complete control. They don't want artists to get too powerful. Read the entire article for a better understanding.
From my personal experience around performers, I have heard of many stories where the music companies already have songs ready to be released. They have the band that is gonna play the song and all they lack is the vocalist. The story is the same for all the formats, rap, grunge, alt, rock, country, etc.
Also, there is the stories about bands that have million sellers, but before they are paid the costs of the artwork on the album, the tour, the promotions all are deducted, and often the artist is in debt.
I thought many of the svengali stories would disapear when people like 50's rock and rollers got out their stories about how atrocious their music deals were. I guess everything goes in cycles.
So, is it worth it to compete to be an American Idol? Read it and judge for yourself.

2 Comments:

Blogger BEEz said...

Luckily I've managed not to get sucked into any of the reality shows. I've dabbled from time to time, but American Idol was the least tempting. I've noticed that all of my friends with kids now the show well. Now, I'm not a snob, as I'm a major TV junky, but why I don't have interest in AI is the whole sham of it all. The rock market is about performers who write music (albeit often bad)... so since when do people getting up singing lame covers get a market?? Yeesh! I agree with you that it is a tool to create stars under complete control... it is hard to feel for the lucky winners, though (as we struggle with car payments and such), particularly since they only appeal to the market their Master's created in the first place.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Randy Black said...

The INXS show has been better. I think Ty would be cool in the lead for the band.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter