Monday, December 13, 2004

2005 Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Pretenders Posted by Hello


The Pretenders, U2, Buddy Guy, The O'Jays, and Percy Sledge will be inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame on March 14, 2005.
The Pretenders first album pictured above and their Learning to Crawl album are essential in any collection. Lead singer Chrissie Hynde could really rock out on Tattooed Love Boys, Thumbelina, and Precious,and could sing the tender songs Stop Your Sobbing, 2000 Miles, and Show Me with all her heart as well.
As for U2, I am more an early U2 (before Joshua Tree) fan. New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride (In the Name of Love) are some of my favorites.
Buddy Guy is the guy Clapton always boasts about. He can play a guitar like...well I guess just like himself.....He's that good.
I never got into the O'Jays that much. I wasn't too fond of Love Train, although I kind of liked Back Stabbers, and their Stairway to Heaven was better than Neil Sedaka's.
Percy Sledge's When a Man Loves a Woman always worked at softening the fairer sex. Many guys wish they would have listened to Take Time to Know Her more often though.

Many great acts nominations have come and gone. It does not look like Love, The Moody Blues, ELO, Alice Cooper, and many others will ever make it into the hall, that is, unless new categories are established. For instance, there could be a psychedlic rock, orchestral rock, and hard rock category added instead of the generic rock category.

2 Comments:

Blogger BEEz said...

Yeah, I did not know that Percy Sledge nor The O'Jays had enough hits or enough influence to justify entry, but then again, I used to think The Kinks were an annoying band that lived off of a couple of hits (now they are among my favorite bands of all times), so maybe there is more there than I know. I too am an early U2 fan (I got to see them live in 1982... the ticket was $4.50, I was in high school). I do think Joshua Tree is a fine album, but it marks the beginning of the end of the era I preferred. Plus, the songs got so much radio play that it makes it tough to listen to it as a cohesive album. I also thought the song "Beautiful Day," for which they won a Grammy, sounded more like early U2. Now, if you can link me up with Sedaka's or the O'Jay's Stairway to Heaven...

6:08 PM  
Blogger Randy Black said...

The two Stairways are totally unrelated and neither are the same as Zeppelin's. I would rank Zeppelin's first, the O'Jay's 91st and Sedaka's 2,000,000, 000,000,999th if there were that many songs of the same title. There are some interesting covers of Zep's including Rolf Harris, the Australian Doors, and Dread Zeppelin. U2's Elevation was a cool song from the later years to play on the radio, and I didn't mind the Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kill Me tune. The new single doesn't do it for me, but I do believe they deserve their place in the hall of fame. They were in the right place at the right time with their American tour after 911. We became their new Ireland. I saw them on the tube playing for the presidents in the rain at the Bill Clinton library dedication. They performed the Beatle's Rain, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and a more recent tune. It was fun watching the ex-presidents patiently try to look respectful in the pouring rain.

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter