Friday, December 10, 2004

WDXB 1490 AM Posted by Hello


The station had been oldies for two weeks yet a lot of the songs were country crossover oldies that the station had left over from its country days of fifteen days prior. I met the music director, Rick Scott who was tickled to find out that I had a wealth of Oldies music. So, all of a sudden the station had all of the Beatles’ songs solo and together, Steppenwolf, the Doors, Alice Cooper, and my favorite at the time Arthur Lee and Love.
Eventually at this station, I would host my own underground radio/punk/early new wave/ psychedelic music show called Aftershock. One would turn in to hear artists such as the Mothers of Invention, X, Black Flag, Wall of Voodoo, Velvet Underground, Alice Cooper, Blues Magoos, Planet P. Project, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, The Smiths, etc. Another co-worker, Bobby Q. Day hosted a blues show. Together, the two shows beat the FM competitors in the ratings.
Other gigs at the station included morning drive, afternoon drive, and middays. During these other shifts, I was the music director (after Rick). I would host the top 5 at 5, today in rock history, Coke Trivia and during Aftershock I tracked an album on Wednesday nights (the Over the Hump Hop) and Friday nights (the Friday Night Blast).
The initial announcers I worked with include Jerry Pond, Tommy Jett, Rick Scott, Bobby Q. Day, Julie Barker, Mark Cruise, Ken Hinds, Paul White, Boyd Steele, Gary Anderson, Homer and Jackie Nelson, and Jody Henderson.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Black said...

How was it decorated? Was it haunted? How was the upstairs?

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter