Tuesday, June 21, 2005

2 Aimee Mann Concerts - what a difference a venue makes

It was a fun but tiring Thursday and Friday. On Thursday my wife and I traveled to Atlanta to see Aimee Mann at a very snobby place, the Atlanta Botanical Garden. We arrived early at the site and followed the signs to park in what wound up being VIP parking only. If you are not a member you, like me, will have to drive back down the hill and through the gates to park in a residential neighborhood. As we climbed the hill we realized that smoking is not permitted on the grounds. We encountered the season ticket holders who were asking who Aimee was. It is sad that so many people rely on radio for all their info and that they could be clueless about perhaps the greatest female rocker of all time. There is a moat that separates the stage from the crowd. We sat at the moat but were told to move our drinks or feet when the security guard would walk the concrete edge to get on to people for touching the water.

Aimee came on and sang 3 numbers and as she started to speak to the audience a lady in the front said I cannot understand a word you are saying. I thought that was rude. I think Aimee did as well but, she would never tell you that. I think the person had a bit too much wine. Anyway, we wound up getting the setlist verbatim. My wife and I wanted to get a picture made with Aimee since the one taken by a fan last year in Nashville never was emailed to us as promised, so we went to get our car. We drove it up the hill to where the bus was parked and noticed a guard following us as well as 6 fans lined up at the bus with CD's waiting for her to sign them. The guard yelled "You need to leave". I stated that I was just gonna try to get an autograph like the others, and he said, "They are with the band. Leave." So we left. We will never attend a show at that venue again.

The Nashville show was indoors at the Canary Ballroom with another concert by Here Come the Mummies upstairs in the Mercy Lounge. Aimee was rehearsing as we arrived and it was suggested that we could get the picture when Aimee came out and returned to her bus before a multitude of others arrived. My wife and I wanted to get a shot of the 2 of us with Aimee so we handed off the camera to another fan so that he could practice using it. Somehow the brand new rechargeable batteries in it had corroded. Perhaps the fact that I left the camera outside after Atlanta's show which we didn't bother using it for. So, in a desperate attempt to find them quickly, I left the site and was guided by a Christian book store to try the Greyhound terminal, which had them. Aimee was still rehearsing when I returned but, I could see that a crowd was converging so, I knew if we got the pic it would be after the show. I talked with drummer John Sands until the doors open. He is very knowledgeable about music and has played on quite a few albums. We were on the front row and Aimee was fantastic. Her new album sounds great live. The band was rocking, Jebin recalled Steppenwolf's organ solos, Paul kept a steady beat, Aimee played bass on 2 songs, Julian had his guitar singing. He told me afterwards that one of his solos was based on Paul McCartney's Junk. So, he knows his music as well. Aimee was the vocalist of the century and was fun. She actually performed Ray, a song that I had never heard her perform live. The show was being taped for a Nashville radio station (I'd love to have it.) After the concert we talked with Julian and took a pic of my wife with him. I'll post it later after I edit her out of it. (She doesn't want her pic on the internet.) Now, I want you to know that many people took pics during the concert, but I didn't because, I did not want to have a flash going off in Aimee's eyes. We waited for a chance to ask Aimee for a pic. As I saw the crowd of about 20 wait what seemed like an hour for Aimee to come out, I started feeling guilty. There were so many fans waiting for her that it seemed like a paparazzi type moment. As we decided to leave, Aimee came outside. We did not go towards her. No picture. No hello. We respected her too much. Perhaps one day we can see her somewhere and have a normal conversation with her without hero worshipping. I'll post the setlist later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter