Saturday, June 04, 2005

June 1 Bob and Willie Concert

Bob and Willie Posted by Hello


It was a wonderful surprise to receive 2 tickets to the concert from a lady that I have known for sometime. I would write her name but due to the fact that she won the tix I will not for fear that the radio station she won them from would give her some grief. The concert was in the pouring rain. As for the atmosphere, the crowd made the concert miserable. Like my last Dylan concert in Dalton, Ga a few years back, I was standing behind 7 foot giants, one of which even tried to open an umbrella. Many of the other people were in foul spirits as if they had some ancient Woodstock brown acid. I saw more arguing and crying than I saw of the concert. I saw more of the concert than I heard, and I saw more Willie Nelson than Bob Dylan. Willie was enthusiastic and friendly and his son sho can play the bluez. Here is another perspective of the crowd at the show.

Bob was less friendly. I do not think he ever addressed the crowd. His voice was almost as bad as in the days when the G. E. Smith Band toured with him, particularly a show at an amphitheatre near Nashville. Then, it struck me. Maybe Bob sounds better indoors. But then again that would not explain Bob's slumping over the keyboards with X's forming on his eyes. Perhaps the steady downfall was too hard on the old motorcycle injuries. Next time, contact me Bob and I'll recommend a doc for ya. Bob must not have been feeling well. The band was good but almost too good like Nashville professionals or hired guns, just make the singer sound better. Here is the setlist:

1. To Be Alone With You
2. The Times They Are A-Changin'
3. Cry A While
4. Just Like A Woman
5. It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
6. Watching The River Flow
7. Visions Of Johanna
8. Highway 61 Revisited
9. Masters Of War
10. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
11. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
12. Summer Days

(encore)
13. Forever Young
14. All Along The Watchtower

Band Members
Bob Dylan - keyboard, harp
Stu Kimball - lead guitar
Denny Freeman - guitar
Donnie Herron - electric mandolin, violin, banjo, pedal steel
Tony Garnier - bass
George Recile - drums

Bob, we love ya. You can do better. But, I'd watch you mime. You are the last Elvis.

Here is a more positive review of the show.

2 Comments:

Blogger BEEz said...

I'm considering going to that same show in a month (in Iowa), but I'm hesitant. I've always wanted to see Willie live, and let's face it, who know's how many chances are left. He already cancelled some shows due to health, and he's getting up there. My main sticking point is Dylan. I've seen him twice, and both times were boring. No doubt, one of the greats, that still doesn't give him a pass. Boring is boring...

4:34 PM  
Blogger Randy Black said...

The tix are a bit costly. If you have some radio contacts, I would give them a call. That way you may be able to attend risk free.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

free hit counter